Friday, September 18, 2026

New Army Men to the Collection?

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar

This Blogpost could just have been another shelfie, but I saw these Army Men for sale in a Norwegian Online Store, Teknik Magasinet, and it was a little too difficult to get an impression of them just by looking at the few photos posted in the webshop. Besides they they looked like some I've reviewed before and later painted to represent 2 different armies, which was so good looking Matchbox Knock-Offs that I decided to buy another box or bag to have a look and perhaps expand my existing armies. Besides they only costed kr 86,- or approx £ 6,43 or $ 8,52 or € 7,46 for 48 pieces. Those I bought back in 2019 was only 32 pieces.

The box it self looked almost identically like those I bought back in 2019 at the Norwegian Armed Forces Museum, with the same name, text and photos. -Therefore I expected the content to be identical as well.

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar


So, were these identical except for the number of soldiers and the price?
The first thing I noticed when I opened my new box of Army Troopers was that they have the same poses as their Matchbox American WW2 Infantry originals.

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar

There were 12 different poses:
A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar

-But only 1 each of these, which I didn't mind as they're not my favorite poses for wargaming anyway:
A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar


The second thin I noticed was that these knock-offs looked notably smaller than the originals and the knock-offs I reviewed in 2019. These are closer to 45mm in height and somewhat between O scale (1:43,5) and 1/35 scale :

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar


Second I noticed was that the quality of these new Army Troopers was very poor in comparison with the larger ones from 2019, which was really good looking knock-offs with crisp moldings. The new ones was semi flat and had really poor reproductions of the weapons, and the details were more indistinct and had softer edges:

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar

The representation of the original M2 Browning 0.50 Cal. was very poor and incomplete. It barely resembles a (cut down) 0.30 Cal. 1919 Browning Machine Gun:
A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar

So these figures are not great or very accurate miniature reproductions of the the originals and they are not true to their Matchbox origins. Are they suitable as toys for kids? -Probably not as their bases are very small and wobbly and will tipping them over very easily. I'm not sure what to use these figures for as using them for expansion of my armies of similar soldiers are out of the question as they're both smaller and has poorer quality than the Army Men I usually use for wargaming. I do have some other 40mm-ish Army Men from earlier, and I might use these as an opposing force for the 40mm Germans perhaps (?).

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar


These Army Men are distributed by Tobar, and should be available in a lot of different countries, but be aware when seeing these at first sight similar looking boxes as the content in them are very different regarding quality and sizes. If you're into 54mm miniatures you should look for the boxes with 32 pieces, as the 48 pieces labeled box contains about the same amount of plastic just not shaped so well. 

The included bag was identical thought...

A Bag of Army Troopers. Cheap Army Men by Tobar


No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also be interested in: