Saturday, April 17, 2021

Fighting Covid-19

Dead simple rules for killing boredom during social-distancing, home isolation or quarantine

There have been a little quite on this blog lately, but that's not the same as I've not been doing anything. I've been busy painting a lot of those 3D-printed items as seen in my previous blog-post, and covering painting is not that exciting (although it takes time). During this time we have also been living under this Covid-19 situation for a year, and I guess we all just want to go back and have a normal day soon. During my own short term quarantine I started to write on these very simple and easy to play rules to kill some time and looking forward to we all can return to our normal lives again.

Fighting Covid Wargame

It is so simple and you don't need more than would fit in a little bag. This is truly a 'Wargame in a bag':
Fighting Covid Wargame

The rules

I've also uploaded the rules here if you want to print them out to have a try on this game.



The Game

As in real life (by now) I let only about half of my men or less to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and benefit from that protection. A "V" was added to the underside of their base.

I 3D-printed "virus-tokens" in two different colors, and let the minority blue color represent a virus-mutation. Any gaming tokens or similar kan substitute for "viruses". Othervise you'll need som dice and a tapemeasure.

The Covid-19 kit was found on www.Thingeverse.com and could be downloaded for free. I resized the kits making it smaller and more suitable for my Army Men
The Covid-19 kit was downloaded fro www.Thingeverse.com for free and resized ta make it more suitable for the game

This was the initial game set-up with a unit consisting of 2 regular Covid-19 viruses and 1 mutant virus in each corner. My Army men started on a 'hill' in the center.

Fighting Covid Wargame
It's nice when you can have a zip of your scenery

All the Virus-units, unless 1, moved toward the Army Men very fast. To try to keep initiative the captain ordred his men to follow him into a melee with the closest threat.

Fighting Covid Wargame
He is brave....

Until the next turn.....
The captain was the first casualty, and non of the other troopers made it off the hill before they were surrounded by viruses and taken out one-by-one.....

Fighting Covid Wargame
...-but stupid

Fighting Covid Wargame
The charge failed and the others didn't come of the hill as they were engaged and surrounded

Fighting Covid Wargame

The flamethrower-guy did really put up a fight, but was finally outnumbered and taken out.

Fighting Covid Wargame



Fighting Covid Wargame

The After Action Review

A game took about 30 minutes and 7 turns to complete. Therefore I had time to play several more games, and I think it wasn't before the 4th time I was able to eliminate the viruses. 

Alternatively you can add a couple of figures, but then you should consider to keep them less protected (no fasemasks or vaccine).

These rules are very simple and doesn't cover every aspects that may appear during a game. If any doubts just make your own decision of whats likely and I encourage you to make your own "House-rules". This was also the first game I was able to use my 3D-printed Dicetower (with 4 bafflers). As you can see it's not fully painted, so I'll guess I'll have to go back painting now...




So until next time; Stay safe guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also be interested in: