Sunday, April 16, 2023

Someone's pieces of plastics, are Someone's else's pieces of 'gold'

As I've written in this blog earlier, there is not a big or interesting market for toysoldiers in Norway. After the haydays in the 60-70ies, the interests and demand for military toys and toy soldiers declined to almost nothing. So we don't have any annual toysoldier-show and the market is scarce. They are simply not easy to find in Norway anymore, despite that all had them in the 60ies or 70ies.

Therefore I was quite surprised to find the following set on a fleamarket not so far from where I live. They put up some items they guessed would be interesting for auction (to get a better price), like this set of Airfix 1:32 scale American Infantry.  I just placed a (very) low bid to start somewhere and to see if there was any others interested in it. I was actually the only bidder and got it for my very low initial bid at just € 4.34, £ 3.88 or $ 4.82 (!)

This was actually the very first soldiers I got from my parents as a kid in the 70ies, and they were from the 1975/76 Military Series. This box of the other hand was from the very first issue of Airfix American Infantry in 1:32 scale from the 1969-71 Military Series (brown box).

Rare find at a fleamatket, dead cheap Airfix 1:32 scale American  Infantry Brown box first series

Rare find at a fleamatket, dead cheap Airfix 1:32 scale American  Infantry Brown box first series

Even if the seller claimed they were all there, I was very curious about the content and the soldiers state due to the age of this set. I was very surprised when I opened the box, not because they were all there, but because they were in a pristine condition. They were not 'dirty', all the mouldings were crisp and none of the barrels were broken (bent but not broken). Not even on the M1-carbines (!). These looks like they've never seen the level of combat mine from the 70ies experienced. This was indeed a very rare find.

Rare find at a fleamatket, dead cheap Airfix 1:32 scale American  Infantry Brown box first series

I was not aware that the box showed figures that wasn't actually in the set. I guess the Thomson SMG pose was used in the American Paratrooper set.

Rare find at a fleamatket, dead cheap Airfix 1:32 scale American  Infantry Brown box first series

Well, I guess that this rare find actually fits in my scope of 'budget wargaming'.

Rare find at a fleamatket, dead cheap Airfix 1:32 scale American  Infantry Brown box first series

If you haven't been to any fleamarkets yet this year, maybe you should 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also be interested in: