Wednesday, May 1, 2024

A May Workbench update - just preparing some miniatures for painting

I've been finishing off some few small projects that's been on my workbench for a while, and they will show up in an update later this month. This month I'm also involved in a 'modelling project' that's not on workbench it self, which I will describe closer in a blog-post on friday...

It's a battle to get time for doing my hobby-things right now as daily life is quite busy. But in busy times I find panting miniature quite therapeutic, and it's been a while since I've been painting miniatures. So I found some figures I've been laying around for a while and started to prepare them so I eventually can start painting them. I thinks it's nicer to game with painted miniatures rather than those without.

Workbench updates on The Hobby Blog for Model railways, Wargaming and Military modelling.
Being China-copies they were made with small bases which made them wobbly. I've 3D-printed some bases when making the 'Ape Army' and had som spares which I superglued onto these figures.
Workbench updates on The Hobby Blog for Model railways, Wargaming and Military modelling.
I made minor changes to a couple of them by trimming a hat down, and adding some 'green stuff'. This is the very first time I've been using green stuff.
Workbench updates on The Hobby Blog for Model railways, Wargaming and Military modelling.
Next I'' wash them and they will be ready for some priming. Earlier I've been using Mod Podge to sealing miniatures, but this time I will follow a tip from James at Quantrill's Toy Soldiers and use Mod Podge for priming as well as the plastic they're made of is very oily and soft.

I've got some few ideas how to paint them, but suggestions to get me further inspired are welcome in the comment section below.

4 comments:

  1. These look fun, l look forward to seeing them painted!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Alan. I think this will be a fun project too. And eventually I plan to bring them to the table top...

      Delete
  2. I also use car plastic spray undercoat for polyethene plastics but not rubbery plastics like the saddle blankets on Britains Detail or ElastoWit figures where I use either PVA or Modge Podge and leave three days before spray painting with acrylic undercoat, usually Games Workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and reading James! Earlier I've used car plastic primer as well, but the type I can get in a shop here is kind of transparent/silverish so it need a second layer of primer which will show the paint better. Is 3 days for curing under normal conditions or under humidity?

      Delete

You may also be interested in: